Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Back from Seattle



On the plane coming back from 8 days in Seattle. The sun is shining and the views out the windows of the plane are spectacular. Snow-capped mountains, Mt. Ranier, Mt. Hood, Mt. Adams, the Three Sisters. Now Mt. Shasta. Snow everywhere. This is a really really special flight today.

Had a wonderful visit with my girls & son in love, Garett. Don was with me for 5 of the days, then needed to get back home. We had a great flat in an area called Tangletown that belongs to Sar’s friends who were out of town. We went to the zoo with Sarah & Parker, took the ferry to Bainbridge Island for brunch, had Solomon & Lauren to our place for pizza, went out for a special dinner, just me and Sar.

A the real highlight was spending quality hang out time with Parker. I got to go to preschool with her twice and Don and I loved watching her enthusiastic participation at Little Gym. She was doing some pretty fancy stuff on the bars for a kid that’s only 18 months old! She definitely has her daddy’s athletic genes.

Parker loves having me around. I guess that’s because I so love being around her. And for Sarah, it’s a chance to get a break, get to the gym, attend a meeting, have someone else to share the job with. I loved being able to support Sarah. Sar & Gar are amazing parents. That is one lucky baby girl. She is flourishing in every way.

I was enjoying myself so much I could almost forget about all our financial problems. When the four of us talked about what’s going on with our financial situation, Sar & Gar lobbied that we should come live in Seattle. There are some very appealing things about that idea. Seattle felt to both of us to still be very vital-lots going on, people have jobs and money, unlike how it's been feeling in California lately. I thought about how I could build a practice there so much easier than in Sonoma County, where there's not a lot of $, and where I'd be doing a lot of driving. Plus it would give Gar & Sar the support they need to think about having a 2nd baby. But mostly, I would be able to develop a strong bond with Parker, while helping Sarah out. These are good things.

But the thought of selling the house is so disconcerting. It just feels like it would upset our lives in such a huge way, I'm not sure we would ever recover. Don is so rooted here. As am I. I don't want to move. I feel like I've just finally settled in.

Days later...We had a couple of realtors out to see our place, and see the land. We haven't heard back from them yet about what they think the places are worth. I'm thinking about setting up an appt to put this house out for vacation rentals. It's the season, and I think it would help bring in some cash while we try and sell the land. I'm going to add some pics of Long Knoll. It is a spectacular piece of property with 46 acres and a blue water view, lots of trees, two creeks, hiking trails, open grassland, and very green.

No comments:

Post a Comment